Sunday, 31 January 2016

Mini Make: Kitchen Worktop


The Exmouth Kitchen has become my 1:12 scale, happy place.

Before Christmas I took a hammer to a simple kitchen set I had in stock and threw together a little custom kitchen unit with a hardwood worktop.


Subsequently I had a lot of enquiries asking if the units are available to buy, well the short answer is no, not as it appears in the pic, but here's how I jazzed up the base units with simple customisation, no carpentry skills required!

What I used:

Hammer (light weight, you don't want to obliterate your units entirely!)
Small chisel ( I used a flat head screw driver as that's what was to hand.)
Sandpaper
Strong craft/ wood glue, I used Copydex
Kitchen Set
Hard wood strip 4/5mm (I've had this little strip for years and finally found a use for it, you should be able to find something suitable in your local hardware shop.)






What I did:


  • So to start, I decided which units I wanted to place together. The Exmouth Kitchen had enough space for the two largest units with space for a refrigerator at the end, though if you were working with a larger space you might be able to use all three in a row or in an 'L' shape arrangement. 



  • The first blow is a bit scary, it feels wrong to be taking a hammer to tiny pieces of furniture you've spent hard earned pennies on, but get past that and you may find actually it's very therapeutic!



  • To avoid too much damage to the base unit try to find a little existing crack between the unit and the worktop to start from, preferably at the back, line the chisel accordingly and force between the base and top with a little help from you hammer!



  • Hopefully it will lift off in one easy piece, or it may be a messy, lengthy process that leaves you with lots of splintered bits of kitchen and a lot of sanding to do. 



  • Sanding!

Depending on how successful the hammer and chiseling step was you may have very little cleaning up to do . Or you might have a manicure destroying half hour ahead of you!

The aim is to get the top of the unit as smooth as possible so that the counter top sits neatly.


Next I glued the two largest units together.
I applied Copydex to the end of the unit, it's pretty strong and thick (and a bit whiffy!) and simply pressed the units together.
To ensure a tight bond, secure in place with masking tape and leave for an hour for the glue to go off.
When the units are dry enough to handle add Copydex to the top of the units and lay the worktop in place. Wipe away any excess glue and leave to dry.


Ta da!
New Kitchen is ready for installation.



5 comments:

  1. I love the kitchen bash you have done it has such a fresh feeling now. I know what you mean about taking the plunge with ideas like this but once you have done it the next time seems to make much more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gusta muchísimo como te ha quedado!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, well done! By the way, have you heard of any kitchen suppliers aberdeen? I live there and my kitchen desperately needs an improvement and I'd rather go for someone recommended.

    ReplyDelete

Created By Sora Templates