Four Little Walls Copyright 2016. Powered by Blogger.

Mini Make: Felted Wreath



December 24th is arguably a little late to be throwing together a wreath but this felted beaut needn't be just for Christmas!

If you have some down time over the holidays I thoroughly recommend needle felting.
It's very therapeutic, perhaps it's all the stabbing action required?!

This is a make for the full-sized house rather than the mini one but hopefully there's enough pint-sized charm here for you all!

What I used:

White felting wool
Needle Felting Pen Tool
Scissors

To decorate:
Plywood House decoration (from Paperchase)
Mini Bottle brush trees
Assorted beads
Needle and thread
Ric-rac / ribbon to hang




What I did:
  • The felting is pretty time consuming but worth it!
Start by wrapping a length of felting wool around the wreath and begin to stab!
Ensure the the wool is covering evenly to avoid lumps and bumps.


  • Carefully, using the felting tool, cover the entire wreath. 
Take extra care if using a pen style tool, (or any style tool!) as the needles can snap off in the polystyrene!
(see my felting casualty below!)



  • When you're happy with the felt coverage check for evenness and smooth over any obvious needle marks. 




  • Next I hand stitched some crystal style beads at inner top of the wreath. 
(I actually ran out of time and had wanted to bead the entire inner circle of the wreath but less is more I suppose!)

In a past life these beads were my little Nan's costume necklaces, she'd kept all the broken ones in a box and now I use them when I think little makes could use an extra special dash of sparkle.






  • To secure the house decoration I used a little scrap of felting wool and to felt the decoration's string loop into place on the back o the wreath. 

I tried to get it central but you may prefer the asymmetrical look!


  • For the hanging loop I felted a loop of ric-rac onto the back of the wreath. 



  • For the final flourish around the front I added some mini bottle-brush trees. 
Again these have been felted into place which was a little fiddly but worth it to not have glue dribbles on the wreath!

When you're happy there is enough sparkle, find a suitable home to display your soft and sparkly wreath.

Merry Christmas!




2 comments