Friday, 11 May 2012

Week 19: Vintage stamp transfers

Ooh it's an exciting one today!

This weekend is stuffed full of Birthdays, which = cake, always a reason to be cheerful.
Also, as I mentioned yesterday, its Kensington Dolls House festival this weekend = mega mini fix. Yess!
I've also got some news about next weeks project, but first, on with Week 19...



Both my Granddad's had stamp collections, sadly neither Granddad is with us anymore but the stamp collections have been united and now live happily in Dad's cellar.
The colours and designs of some of these are so pretty, I've been racking my brain for ideas to use them with out destroying them, and so today I bring you vintage stamp transfers!

You will need some basic technology for this one, but I figured as you're already reading this on a computer we should be Ok!

What I used:
Assorted stamps (you could also use photos, magazine cuttings etc)
Scanner/ photocopier + printer
Plain white paper
White fabric
Sharp scissors
Dylon Image maker (available form most craft shops)
Small paint brush
Damp sponge/ cloth

What I did:
First I chose the stamps I wanted to use, went a bit mad as there were so many cool ones but I'm sure I'll use them all eventually!


Next I laid all the stamps face down on the glass of the scanner/ copier (just a bog standard home use one.) and scanned the stamps and saved them to the computer. You can just colour photocopy but scanning means you've got the file saved for future use.

NOTE: If you are using designs with text or numbers on, use a basic image editor on your computer or online to flip the image over. It should now read back to front on your screen. This means that the text will be the correct way round once you've transferred the image to fabric. You will notice that I failed to do this and was kicking myself afterwards!!

When you're ready print the images and cut to size.


Lay your fabric pieces on some grease proof paper and using a small brush apply a generous layer of the image maker all over the printed area of the design you wish to transfer. It should be enough so that the image is clouded but not completely blocked out.


Lay the paper sticky side down onto the fabric, press flat and leave to dry completely.
(I also sandwiched the fabric between grease proof paper and laid a book on top to keep it flat.)

Drying time = One viewing of War horse, (sob-fest!) a trip to do the food shopping and have a bit of a tidy up. All in all, about 4 hours.

When you're ready take a damp sponge and soak the the paper all over. Starting from the center start to gently peel the paper off to reveal the transferred image underneath. Dab any excess moisture off, if there's still residue from the paper use a dry cloth to gently brush any remaining layers away. Don't over do it else you might start to rub off the image!

Seal the image with a thin layer of the image maker and leave to dry.
When the fabric is dry it's ready to be transformed into the mini master piece of your choosing! I went for cushions (here's one I blogged earlier!) and wall canvases but also thinking of little tote bags and upholstery.

So that's that.

Now then, exciting news about next weeks project!!
In a Four Little Walls first I'm very excited to tell you that the lovely Amelia of The Frippery Factory will be guest blogging with a fab, food tutorial for Week 20!!
I'm sure many of you will already be familiar with Amelia's delicious designs, if not, quick! Pop over to her website immediately, if not sooner, and feast your eyes on the many, marvelous, polymer-clay creations.
So looking forward to this!




Phew, well that's enough for one day, have a fab weekend!
x







3 comments:

  1. How cool. I really like the idea of using stamps for the pillows. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a genius idea and really beautiful! Loving your works :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! These were first attempts so a bit wonky looking but really pleased at how clear the images came out! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Created By Sora Templates